1. Copy one handout per pair of students, and cut the sheets up into A and B.
2. Put the students into pairs with an A and B student, and distribute the split handouts.
3. Focus students' attention on the instructions and make sure students aren't looking at each other's sheets.
4. Explain and demonstrate that students are to describe the words on their crossword to their partner, who tries to guess the word from its description. Emphasise students must NOT look at each other's handout when doing this. Encourage students to use defining relative pronouns (which, where, who, whose etc.) and the useful language in the instructions box.
5. Monitor the students, providing language input or error correction when necessary.
6. Finally, elicit responses from some of the students and draw to their attention any appropriate vocabulary or serious language mistakes.