1. Copy one handout for each pair of students, and cut the sheets in two.
2. Put the students into pairs, and distribute a half handout to each individual student.
3. Focus students' attention on the instructions in section A. Students read through the quotes on friendship and insert the missing word. Encourage students to use basic grammatical rules and principles to do this. Check the accuracy of the answers before continuing.
4. Emphasise in the next stage that students must discuss what the quotes mean and whether they agree with them or not. Allow students around five minutes or until the conversation dies down to discuss the quotes.
5. Finally, elicit responses from some of the students and draw to their attention any appropriate vocabulary or serious language mistakes.