1. Copy one role sheet per three students, and cut the sheets up into A , B and C.
2. Put the students into threes with an A, B and C student, and distribute the role worksheets only (randomly or you can designate secretly who is the police).
3. Focus students' attention on the instructions and make sure students aren't looking at each other's sheets. First the police student interviews the two suspects in normal speech. Ensure students read their role cards first so they know what to do.
4. Once the police interrogation is over, hand out the reporting verbs sheet. Students now report what was said using the reporting verbs given and what they remember of the interrogation.
5. Monitor the students, providing language input or error correction when necessary.
6. Finally, elicit responses from some of the students and draw to their attention any appropriate vocabulary or serious language mistakes.